Friday, June 22, 2007

Stuff

Stuff

Somewhere around Monday Miss Nancy and I decided we would have to have a sushi fix on Friday night after work. Friday finally rolled around and we hopped on our bikes and rode downtown to our favorite sushi bar. We were both very hungry and didn’t care whether we were seated at a table or at the bar. We waited 10 minutes outside on the sidewalk and people watched, this is Santa Cruz after all! The bar open first and we were seated right at the corner of it. Our order showed up in record time and we dug in. A new couple sat down 90 degrees to my right and in one glance I decided that their last name had to be Stickupthebutt. I know you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover, but these two had I’m really up tight written all over them. From Mrs. Stickupthebutt prim and proper absolutely bolt upright appearance to his immaculate clothing, very taunt facial skin and bludging forehead veins, these two looked like stoke victims in the making. I was ignoring them and concentrating myself on wasabi overdosing when I overheard them ordering. It was tight quarters and I wasn’t trying to ease drop, but after hearing what Mrs. Stickupthebutt ordered I could now understand their current predicament. Mrs. Stickupthebutt didn’t like sushi and was only there to placate Mr. Stickupthebutt appetite for raw fish which of course made them both up tighter. I also knew that the kitchen would never get Mrs. S order right. Just about the time of my 7th wasabi overdose their orders shows up and sure as shit her order is wrong. This caused an instant reaction from Mr. S and by the time we paid the check and were heading out the door. Mr. S had 3 of the wait staff and the manager of the place running in circles to cure the problem.
“Oh, for _uck sacks!” I thought to myself. “Would you go to Mc Donald to order sushi? We you go to your local rib joint and order a veggie burger? Would you go to the Thai restaurant and try and get roast beef?” I think not! “Then why in the hell would you put yourself in this position?” The only answer I could come up with is that is what the Stickupthebutt’s like!


The traffic around town last weekend was monumental. It started building around Wednesday and just got worse everyday. It seems everybody and their dog was graduating from something. If you weren’t riding a bike across town you weren’t going to get there very fast. I could feel the tension mounting with the motorist as we rode to sushi on Friday night. A.K. and Hoppy and I were riding back from the Sat. ride and had a couple of people hanging out of their windows of their cars screaming at us. We weren’t doing any wrong or obnoxious, people were just frustrated and or jealous. We has decided we needed a little extracurricular activity after the morning ride and our plan was to ride our road bikes up through the dirt at UCSC, over to Smith Grade and then back down to the coast and home. We hit the first stop sign on High St. and stopped and waited our turn and then keep going. There was an endless parade of cars going to campus for graduation and apparently we had pissed off another driver who had to punch the accelerator behind us and missed A.K. with her mirror by about an inch. She got her car up to about 45 before she had to hit the brakes and stop for the next stop sign 100 yards in front of us. We all had the same thought at once which was to chase her down, but instead we shook our heads and flipped her off. It reminded me of the song Racing To The Red Light.


Riding road bikes in the dirt is excellent training for cyclocross!


The Continental Divide Race has completely enthralled me! I had absolutely no idea how tuff this race is. The more I read the check in reports, review the maps and look at the pictures the more it makes my jaw drop!!! I cannot believe Rick Hunter is doing this race on a rigid bike!

http://www.greatdividerace.com/


We had a great moto on Tuesday night. I felt very strong and could really push on the pedals. I also couldn’t put my wheels in the wrong place. That was until the end of the ride. I somehow managed to scrubbed most of my speed off at the end of this rock garden. This meant I lost the preferred high line and was shifted to the not so preferred low line. In a split second I realized it was going all wrong and ejected just as my bike stopped catapulting me over the bars. I was lucky enough to clear both of my feet over the handlebar and nailed the landing. Unfortunately the landing was sloped so my ass slammed into a rock. It didn’t really start hurting till a couple of days later and I got this really nice scab that runs from cheek to cheek. Just when you feel like superman the reality check hits!

No comments: