Monday, March 26, 2007

10 hours

I did a couple of rides this weekend that totaled 10 hours exactly with no pain! Well, actually no pain from my injured hamstring, but as I write this I’m very sore and tired!

The first ride on Saturday was a long road ride with the Rock Lobster team. We started a Toro Park across from Laguna Seca on Hwy 68 and then rode down the Salinas Valley on River Rd, rolled up and down on Arroyo Seco Rd., had a pit stop in the middle of nowhere at a tiny country store, up and over the first climb of the day (2400’), down the Carmel Valley into a head wind, stopped in Carmel Valley Village for another pit stop, up the dreaded Laureles Grade and finally down Hwy 68 back to El Toro Park. It was 87 miles long and almost 5000’ of climbing (almost the exact same numbers as a Flamingo ride). This was absolutely a fantastic ride with great bunch of people. I cramped pretty hard going Laureles Grade and had to get off of my bike to unlock, but other than that it was amazingly beautiful ride and roads that I had never ridden on.

The second ride on Sunday was a moto up to and around and down Ursula Mnt, up to the U and then down Mailboxes with Careyluks, X-Terra Matt, Margarita Dave, Gerry-Gerry and Gerry and Shauna P. I was super tired at the beginning of this ride, but about half of the way through, I started feeling much better. In fact, after 3 hours of fun I almost went for another lap with Careyluk and X-Terra Matt as I was in a large state of euphoria from the descent, but knew I had to get home to see Nancy. This was the smartest decision I made all weekend because by the time I got home and showered and feed myself it suddenly felt like the weight of the world was on my shoulders and I realized just how tired and cranky I was!!

Here are some pictures of the fun:


Everybody was very chipper in the morning including young Max.

Our little peloton.


It was great to see David Gill back on the bike after a lengthy back injury


Herr Swiggboss in front of the little country store that saved our butts.

California in the spring time and top of the first climb.

The last pit stop around mile 70. Max is about to devour a whole bag of Goldfish crackers!



8 comments:

Anonymous said...

i did'nt know you knew how to blog? and i thought an espoir was jr. curmudgeon. but fittingly enough, you ARE the curmudgeon. nice, clean format. vivid pictures. ugly people on bikes. what more could you ask for?

Jr. Curmudgeon said...

Hmmm.... I might graduate to full crumudgeon any day now; especially if I keep riding with you two!

Anonymous said...

the curmudgeon abides! you should have at least one of us at the flamingo, happy days!
i am alone in the office today...so lonely!

Jr. Curmudgeon said...

Jeez, how many pseuodonym do you have? I can't beleive you said the "f" word. The thought of being tag teamed by the Careyluks is too much to bear! I think I'll go camping instead!

Anonymous said...

the flamingo is pink, the flesh is soft. probably only me as stella has velobella duties this weekend. i, unlike the other lady men, am free to indulge in the bike

riding tonight?

Jr. Curmudgeon said...

I went yacht racing last night. Damm what a nice night. No flamingo for me. My arm got twisted and I'm going yacht racing on Sunday. Does this lable me a "lady men"?

Brent said...

ladies man indeed.

Thanks for the pics.. I recall that moment from the shot of me draped over my bike at the top of the first climb. ugh. PUre swEet UGhs.

Anonymous said...

Did I pass you in my Yellow Ferrari heading into Carmel Valley?