Monday, February 05, 2007

Flamingo'ed

I got “Flamingo'ed” yesterday. The first part of the ride went well, but after we left the fire station on Skyline my legs started to cramp and I was dropped before Alpine. I rode in the groupetto and until we reached Cloverdale Rd. While the rest of the group headed to Pescadero for lunch, I hung a left onto Cloverdale Rd. and continued on by myself. I ate a sandwich on the fly and prayed that my legs wouldn’t fully lock up. My prayer went unanswered as I hit the tiny hill where big wide open Cloverdale Rd. turns into narrow Cloverdale Rd., my legs completely cramped to the point that I could not pedal anymore. I got off the bike and hobbled to the top of the hill. After a couple of minutes my legs finally released and I plopped down into the dirt.
Good God, even though I was having a tuff time, it truly was a beautiful day! I sucked down some Cliff Shot and drank a bunch of water and enjoyed the vista. I hopped back onto my bike and continued on. Every hill I encounter put me on the verge of cramping and I was in my own personal world of hurt! I couldn’t pedal hard enough to make all of the little aches and pains go away! I swear time started to expand. By the time I reached Scotts Creek I was starting to feel a bit better, but I had to stop in Davenport for some water.
I’m back on the bike minding my own business when suddenly, right around the red white & blue mailbox, a car is pacing me. I look over and it’s Team Santa Cruz’s Commandant David Gill. David pulls ahead and then pulls over. I stop and we shoot the breeze. A couple of minutes later the rest of the ride flies buy! David and I pull out and David motor paces me almost back to the group, but traffic forces him away just before contact is made. For the next mile I give chase, but the gap hovers right around 50 meters and I just can’t close it. The group hits the Dimeo Lane hill and I can see Aaron Kereluk pull around and attach. I watch as the group splinters into 3 pieces before me. I stop chasing around Wilder and cruise in. I hear later that the sprint was chaotic as somebody flatted just as everybody started their kick for the city limit sign! I haven’t cramped like this in a long time and I hope it will be a long time before it happens again!

3 comments:

norcalcyclingnews.com said...

sunny and 70's down in Satan's Barbara.

missed the flamingo, but we tipped a few brews to you crazy sum'bitches from afar.

Jr. Curmudgeon said...

Olaf,
It was cold in the morning (high 30's) and stayed down right chilly under the redwoods all day. The ride down the coast was very beautiful and warm!

Brent said...

nice. Bummer to miss the Flamingo as its one of my favs. The ride in Ynez valley was too sweet to turn down. I still have tan lines to prove it.

Been there in that cramp zone on that ride. Super fun.