Wednesday, January 24, 2007

The Day After
I had a grand cross bike ride on Sunday with a bunch of friendly boys and girls: 6.5 hour total time with 6000+ feet of climbing (sometimes walking) in 65 miles. The mellow mood of the crew and an awe inspiring view of Ano Nuevo Island from the top of Chalk Mnt. (I forgot my camera) made all of the pain and cramping on the way home well worth it! Consequently, the pull of gravity felt much stronger on Monday morning and I felt very lethargic! I was having a debate with myself on whether I wanted to go on a lunch ride or not. A visual inspection through the office window and a quick check on the outside temperature via the web confirmed it was the first nice weekday in awhile. So I girded my loins, suited up and stepped out the office door. It was indeed a beautiful day! I was riding along the bike path next to the Uvas Creek which is flat as a pancake and is great for spinning the old legs out. I also particularly like riding the path for 2 reasons: 1. I don’t entirely trust the drivers here in Garlic Town. 2. The rednecks out here haven’t chucked bottles of beer out the window onto the path (yet). I have never ridden in a town with so much glass and or debris on the side of the road (there is nothing more irritating than getting a flat during the lunch ride!). The sun is shining, the music in my ears is kicking and most of my friends may not believe this, but I have a big smile on my face! I come upon a 20 something couple walking on the path with a tiny grey puppy. Just as I swing to the left to pass them the girl kicks the puppy soccer style causing the puppy to somersault 4 or 5 times!!!! I think I audible moaned. I wanted to turn around and scream at them, but I kept on riding. As what I had just seen rewound over and over in my head, sun didn’t seem as bright anymore, the music in my ears was dull and my smile was gone. All I could think and or wish is that people like this don’t breed!

4 comments:

Lorri Lee Lown -- velogirl said...

simply amazing! I don't think I could just ride by without rescuing the puppy.

Brent said...

welcome to the jungle baby.
That sucks. Maybe she kicked him cause she thought you were going to run him over with your bike... at least that is what I am going to believe cause that would of pissed me off too.

Jr. Curmudgeon said...

Velogirl,
I’m less inclined to get into people’s faces the older I get. I have less tact and patients now and I appear to come on very offensively even when I think I’m not. I also was not prepared to go toe to toe with them while wearing road shoes and judging by there appearance I’m sure it would have gone this way. In retrospect however, maybe I should have as this incident still bothers me!

Brent,
They had no idea I was coming, beside the puppy was between them.

Anonymous said...

Good for people to know.