Tuesday, December 26, 2006




I wouldn't define myself as a tree hugging environmentalists, but the sights of trash on the beach and redwood trees on the back of logging trucks does sadden my heart. The GF said she wanted to go to a secluded beach up north on Christmas day. We drove up Hwy 1 to Little Laguna, a place I used to surf when I was much younger. In fact, I hadn't set foot on this beach in 20+ years. It still looked remarkable the same, but I was staggered by the amount of trash we saw. There was plastic bits of every type scattered about the high tide mark. It then dawned on me that this refuse had washed up onto the beach from the sea. The trash picture above took us 10 minutes to collect and was a very tiny portion of what was there, but this is all that we could carry. No matter where you are, take a little time out and pick a bit of trash up! Eventually everything ends up in the ocean sooner or later.

1 comment:

Brent said...

yah thats is a pretty sad site.
A lot of the stuff is blown into the ocean from around the city, it also gets into the runoff drains throughout town. You can see this stuff coming down the San Lorenzo too.
Then there are just the slobs who toss their trash in the water... thats just sick.